Friday, January 8, 2010

HOOAH! 31 days to 35 - Write a letter to a soldier

So when I decided to do this 35 days project, I knew I wanted to have a variety of things on my list. Some fun, some funny, some challenging. And I knew that there were going to be a couple that would be emotional for me. This is one of them.

I am an Army brat. Not the typical Army brat that was forced to move all over the country from one duty station to the next. But my father was a lifer in the Army. I grew up on and around Army and Air Force bases. I didn't realize until very recently exactly how much this affected my perception of the world and even simple things. The fact that I know what the PX is and what they sell. The fact that I woke up to a bugle every morning for YEARS. And the fact that growing up entrenched in the military lifestyle has implanted in my soul a certain love and respect for the military and the sense of honor and duty that it represents. When I see people in uniform, especially now, it makes me smile. Even though I wasn't involved in ROTC in school, and always told my father there was NO WAY I would ever join the army, there is a small part of me that would have been really proud to wear that uniform and serve my country in that manner. There is an honor in that unlike anything else.

My father served 20 years in the Army. So did my brother in law. And countless friends from high school have joined all branches of the military. And several of them have served and are currently serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. I am not even going to touch the politics of whether we should even be in this war (in general, I don't like to talk politics). But politics aside, I can support the men and women who sacrifice themselves, potentially their lives, in service to their country. I want them to know just how much those sacrifices are appreciated.

In deciding to write this letter, I considered picking one of the various high school friends that I know currently serving. But I know that there are a lot of soldiers who don't have much in the way of family or friends. They are spending time over there with little or no lifeline back home. So I wanted to send a letter to someone who may not otherwise get one. There are lots of programs set up to see that soldiers who get little or no mail get letters and care packages that supporters send. I don't know who will get my letter, but I can only hope that he or she receives it exactly when they need a little pick me up from home. I hope it brings a little warmth, and lets them know that somebody back here is thinking of them.

If you want to send a letter of your own, these are two of the programs I found that seem pretty cool.
http://www.anysoldier.com/index.cfm
http://www.letterstosoldiers.org/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment