Monday, January 11, 2010

"You can write that s*&% on a napkin" - 28 days to 35 - My last will and testament

This was one thing on my list that sounded a little daunting....my LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT (in my head this is always spoken in a deep scary voice...maybe that's just me...). I have thought for some time that this is something that I wanted to do. Not becasue I have a whole lot to leave people (my net worth consists of a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a bunch of sentimental crap no one cares about but me.) But now that I have a child, I knew it was something that I NEEDED to do. Not because I'm morbid and planning to die, but I should probably be prepared right? That's the responsible, adult thing to do. So, having made the decision to do this, I set about trying to figure out how. I mean, this isn't something they teach you in school (there is no Planning For Your Death 101 in the course catalog).

So as I set about trying to do this whole "will" thing, I first started asking around. FYI, friends and family are not always the best source of information. What I gathered was this: 1) where/how you write the information doesnt have to be formal (as my sister said "You can write that shit on a napkin.), the important thing is to get it notarized; 2) there are a variety of ways to plan for what happens after your death (will, living trust, etc), most of which assume that your worldly possessions consist of more than high school yearbooks and Biggest Loser workout DVDs.  So after a little research, I decided to use one of the many websites that walks you through completing all of the necessary items in a will (I know I will have to revise this later on, but for the sake of starting the process I decided to go this route).

Soooo, courtesy of partingwishes.com, the first draft of my will is done. It was kind of funny actually, realizing how little I had to leave.  But kind of sobering too. In deciding on a beneficiary to my  vast estate (LOL) I had to think about who would still be around after I was gone. Not a very pleasant line of thought for sure....but I know I will rest a little easier knowing that if something were to happen to me (and Darin) our wishes will be carried out as far as who will take care of Aiden. So everything is planned for after I die....now, if I could just figure out the plan for the rest of my life.....

No comments:

Post a Comment