Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Mommy's Day Out - 20 Days to 35 - Getting my first facial (and leaving the baby for the first time)

I am a lover of all things spa related. I mean, who doesn’t love being pampered? Manicures, pedicures, massages...I love it all. So it was kind of strange to realize that I have never had a facial. And while it seems like something small, my current life circumstances make it oh so appealing. Just two months ago I had a baby. And yes he's fabulous, and, of course, the cutest baby ever. But the reality of pregnancy, childbirth and taking care of a newborn is not all cute baby clothes and the wonderful smell of baby powder. No the truth of the matter is that (until the last week or two) I haven’t gotten more than 3 hours of sleep at a time in almost 4 months. My life is a constant stream of dirty diapers, breastfeeding and sleep deprivation. So the idea of doing something, ANYTHING, that is designed to be relaxing and is all for me, was too good to pass up. I knew I had to include some form of pampering on my list.




As I found when trying to schedule my bikini wax (the memory of which still HURTS by the way), there aren’t too many spas in Bakersfield. Besides the site of my wax, which I was none too anxious to revisit, I know of one other spa in the area. Last year when Darlene was visiting we decided to get massages. That was the first time I realized that "spa" wasn’t big business in this area. Anyway, I found this place, La Petite Poullet, where I had a massage that was basically the best 30 minutes of my life up to that point. I was so relaxed after that massage I practically fell down when I tried to get up off the table. And it was only 40 bucks!! So I figured that if they could do that great of a job on the massage, a facial would be a piece of cake.


So I made my appointment, and after a morning of running errands (which included watching my baby boy get THREE SHOTS!!), I was more than ready for some pampering. As I prepared for my three o'clock appointment (you are supposed to wash your make-up off first, right? I don’t know facial etiquette), I realize that in planning this activity I have inadvertently scheduled myself for TWO new activities today. In going to the spa I was going to have to leave Aiden. For the first time....with someone who is NOT me. Now yes, I realize, I would be leaving him with his father. And, sure, that shouldn’t make me nervous. But it did. It REALLY did. This is the same man who changes diapers so slowly that Aiden pees all over everything...every single time! As my anxiety builds I try to talk myself down. I am going to have to leave the baby at some point....and Darin is his dad...I am sure they will be fine. Yeah right!! As I prepare to leave for my facial, I mentally check off everything Darin will need while I am gone. Now granted, I am only going to be gone for about an hour and a half but who knows what could happen in that time. "Ok...here are the diapers, wipes and some extra clothes in case there is an accident. I have a bottle already warmed and ready in case he gets hungry. If he starts to cry try walking with him. And do the sway not the bounce, he doesn’t like the bounce sometimes...." Listening to myself I knew I sounded like a neurotic freak. Never mind that I was supposed to be going to do something relaxing....Finally, after Darin practically pushes me out the door, I make my way to the spa. It only takes me about 8 minutes to get there and before walking in I just can’t help myself. I have to call and check on things. Darin answers the phone laughing "We're fine, the baby is fine, go enjoy your facial." Ok, we'll see about that.....


After getting all checked in, my esthetician, Kayle, led me to a darkened room. She questioned me about my skin care (who knew it was THAT complicated??) then asked if I had any skin related issues or questions. My mouth said "No" but my brain said "Seriously, can we just get on with it! I need some relaxation!" I lay back onto a pillow and the pampering began. She didn’t talk the whole time, so I have no idea what kinds of things she was rubbing into my face but the sensation was heavenly. First of all, she had the softest hands in the world. Seriously, I am talking like baby skin soft. And I didn’t realize that one could actually have their face massaged, but I realized pretty quickly that this was the magic of the facial. Within about 5 minutes I could feel the tension floating away. I felt like I was melting into the table.....That is, until I woke myself up with a loud snore. Yep, that’s right, I woke myself up snoring. Not once. Not even twice...five times. FIVE TIMES!!! And each time I laid there wondering "was that the first snore, or one in a series of snores and that last one was the only one loud enough to wake me?" I was mortified, but honestly, too relaxed to care. I figure, I can’t be the first person to ever fall asleep and snore during a facial. And besides it was her fault. Her and her damn soft hands!!
About 45 minutes later and my trip to spa heaven was over. I floated out of the spa and as I reached my car I remembered. Baby...home alone with Daddy...OH HELL!!! I raced back home to find the baby swinging contentedly and Darin folding laundry (seriously, he really was!!). Wow, smooth skin, a quiet baby, and a house chore-doing husband.....a girl could get used to this!

No comments:

Post a Comment