Tuesday, January 5, 2010

"Make way for the bad man." - 34 days til 35 - Watch Scarface

OK.....so I have FINALLY seen it. And my response....I cant really put my finger on it...so what is to follow is a stream of consciousness reflection on my day two activity....

First of all, Michelle Pfieffer looks like she is 12! But I gotta say she ages WELL!

And Al Pacino's accent...if it hadn't been so endlessly imitated in the last 20 years it wouldn't have been funny...but it has been....so it was!

Which brings me to my bottom line impression of the film...i liked it...but i would have liked it SO much better if it had not been referenced, imitated, and flat out copied so shamelessly in all manners of media. If I didn't listen to so much rap music i might not have already known the lines from every memorable scene ("Say hello to my little friend!" "Another Quaalude, she love me again." etc. etc.). Its difficult to objectively watch a movie like Scarface with all of the build up and hype. Reminds me of how i felt about the very first Batman movie. Remember all the hype? in the months leading up to the debut of the movie there were commercials, happy meals and souvenir cups and McDonald's, and every kind of Batman schwag you can imagine. And Darlene and I devoured it all. In what can only be described as a painful memory, I can recall the two of us showing up at the theater on the opening night decked in Batman t-shirts, earrings, necklaces, and yes, even shoelaces (hey, i never said we were cool!). So we get our overpriced popcorn and soda and wait with bated breath for one of the biggest cinematic disappointments i have ever personally experienced. Now Scarface wasn't THAT bad, but its tough to live up to 20 years of hype. Yet and still, I gotta say...I liked it. Al Pacino is the man...and I can see how a generation of borderline antisocial boys could use him as a role model for their "entrepreneurial spirit." LOL

Oh and one last thing....the clothes!! And "Gina's" hair?!! Seriously....even in 1980, WTF is that all about!!! HAHAHAHAHA

1 comment:

  1. i agree on all! Your point about the impact of this film on rap music is also a blog full of social commentar in and of itself! We can save that for another day...

    ReplyDelete